Thursday, July 19, 2007

Flocked!


In China, ducks are introduced into rice paddies as a form of insect control. They forage around the rice plants, and leave good fertilizer behind in the process. Then, after the rice harvest, the ducks are harvested as well. At least that's what I've heard.

When a pickup pulled into our driveway yesterday afternoon with a large box of pink flamigos, I knew that there was no escape. We were being flocked, apparently along with three other households in the neighborhood. It's the Kirkpatrick Memorial Community Church's fundraiser to benefit the Community House Renovation and Maintenance Project. Flocks of pink flamingos have been showing up all over Parma and the surrounding countryside to spend the night grazing on lawns. Donation options are as follows:

Minimum fee for flock removal is $25.

Designation fee of $25 will send the flock (or up to 4 flocks of 24 birds @ $25 per flock) to a friend.

Grazing fee of $25 per day per flock is assessed should you wish your flock to stay a few days.

Insurance for the prevention of large pink birds = $50.

It's a coercive form of fund raising, but I must admit that it's kind of fun to drive around town and see where the flock of pink flamingos is roosting. Plus, it's a good cause. My noon time yoga class meets in the Community House, I often vote there, and lots of other events take place there.

I happened to be home when the birds arrived, so I had the opportunity to decide where they were going to graze. Our lawn is mostly hidden from the neighborhood, but there is a large mowed patch of our South garden where I recently finished harvesting spinach. It is visible throughout our little Leigh-Z-Acre subdivision. I asked to have the flock placed there.

They look like they belong. I keep hoping that they are bending those long necks when I'm not looking, and pecking at the earwigs that are the bane of my garden. Or leaving a little dung fertilizer.

So, we are letting them graze here at Pollinator Paradise for an extra day. While here they took a shower under the sprinklers. Being a tropical bird, I hope they appreciated the extra humidity.

Thanks for visiting my garden, Pink birds! And thanks to Sue and Shelly who must be exhausted from hauling these birds around from one grazing site to another.



No comments: